Common questions about eye exams include: How much does an eye exam cost? How frequently should I have my eyes examined? What should I bring with me to my exam?
Eye Exam Cost?
The first step in preparing for an eye exam is finding a doctor near you.
Eye exams are available through several different venues, including
- an independent eye doctor’s office,
- the eye department of a multidisciplinary medical clinic,
- A group eye care practice (optometrists, ophthalmologists or both)
- At an optical retailer or optical shop that also offers eye exams by an affiliated optometrist.
The cost of an eye exam can vary significantly depending upon –
- Whether the exam is performed by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist
- The tests that are included in the exam
- Whether the exam includes a contact lens fitting or other contact lens-related services
Generally, the cost of an eye exam can range from 100 Rs to 500Rs in India.
A comprehensive eye exam should include at least the following:
- A review of your personal and family health history and any history of eye problems
- Evaluation of your distance and near vision with an eye chart
- Evaluation of the presence of nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia
- Near vision testing to determine if you have presbyopia and need progressive lenses or bifocals
- Evaluation of your eyes ability to work together as a team
- An eye pressure test and examination of the optic nerve to rule out glaucoma
- Examination of the interior of your eyes to rule out other eye problems, such as cataracts and macular degeneration